Get the caravan out of storage
April, 11 2018
Has your caravan or motorhome spent the winter months in storage? Then the time has come to get it back out. It is spring, after all, and we can be sure that sunshine is just around the corner. But how can you get your caravan in tip-top shape before the year’s first camping trip? We have some tips for you.
When your caravan first emerges from hibernation, it’s a good idea to check what kind of condition it’s in. If you want to keep using it, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and do a thorough spring cleaning.
- First, rinse the caravan with clean water. It’s the easiest way to clear away dust and dirt.
- Then move on to a more intense wash to remove any leftover dirt. Be careful when using abrasive cleaning products, as they can damage your caravan’s coating. Make sure you wash one side at a time, because by the time you’ve done the entire caravan, the first side will have already dried, which can cause staining.
- Don’t forget to clean the water tank and the pipes.
- Finish off by applying a protective coating to the caravan. You can use a solid or liquid wash to do this. It’s quite a job, but it’s certainly worth the effort.
- Check the inside of the caravan for any mould and scrub everything thoroughly.
Are you unable to hand clean your caravan or camper? Or do you just not feel like putting in so much effort? Then you can hire a specialist caravan company to do it for you.
Check the caravan
After the big spring clean, it’s a good idea to check your caravan’s other parts before you hit the road for your next camping holiday.
- Charge the service battery and/or the mover battery and check the gas cylinders.
- Check the tyre pressure and make sure electrical parts like lighting still work properly.
- Treat the gaskets around the doors and windows with talc or another special maintenance product to maintain the material’s elasticity.
- Make sure that the toilet fluid is refilled.
- Is the caravan equipped with a fire extinguisher? If so, check the expiration date on the extinguisher.
- Lubricate the lead screws and levelling supports, along with the locks and hinges on all of the doors.
Then you’re ready to kick off your camping holiday! Do you have your own tips for getting your caravan in tip-top shape before your holiday? Share them with us. We can’t wait to hear them.